Members attend Free!
MBMAG 2021 Virtual Winter Party
with Featured Speaker Jeannie Pratt
2021 Winter Challenge Results
Zoom, January 24, 2021 from 1 – 4 pm
Challenge: Entries due by January 10! Scroll down for more information.
Members join us free on Zoom, January 24, 2021 from 1-4 pm for our annual winter party. We’ll have a talk from our own Jeannie Pratt, introduce our 2021 Board members and enjoy catching up with each other. We’ll also be announcing the winners of our 2021 Winter Challenge. Our Zoom account is limited to 100 attendees, so you must register to assure your space. Free registration for the party is now open.
Jeanie Pratt talk “My Journey as a Metal Weaver, Enamelist and Insect Enthusiast or Nothing is Ever Simple”
Metal artist Jeanie Pratt uses a variety of textile techniques including weaving, knitting, twining, looping, and bobbin lace – all with metal! Her fiber art and metalsmith backgrounds inform how she approaches the construction of each piece, but it is her entomology background that inspires her designs through form, color, and texture. “I love making interesting woven patterns for my beetle brooch wings and twined bodies in gold and silver for my insect brooch bodies.” The synergy of her two life-long pursuits in one body of work is unique, dynamic, and full of life. “Although I hadn’t used my entomology degree in many years, I am now relearning about insects and am drawn to critters that are real, but surreal.” She lives by a philosophy that “bugs are beautiful” and the organic nature of both her subject and her artistic process give her pieces beautiful harmony with a whimsical touch.
Metals Challenge Details
As a response to the strange and stressful year of 2020, you are being challenged to create a pair of eyeglasses that will see into the future. Three prizes will be awarded!
The challenge is open to members only. Become a member or renew your membership by going to WWW.MBMAG.org. Membership will be good for the entirety of 2021.
THE METALS CHALLENGE: Create a pair of eyeglasses using anything you have on hand: wire, found objects, gems, beads, etc.
Let your imagination run wild!
- We encourage you to have lenses in your eyeglasses that will express your vision
- There will be no kits for this challenge
- Photos of your completed piece must be emailed by Jan 10, 2021
- No more than two photographs, JPEG, not to exceed 4 Mbytes.
- Send all entries to Dick Walvis at firstname.lastname@example.org with MBMAG 2021 Winter Challenge in the subject
- Prizes will be awarded in the form of a gift certificate to Rio Grande or Otto Frei!
- First prize: $250.00 value
- Second prize: $150.00 value
- Third prize: $100.00 value
- Voting by MBMAG members happens the week of Jan 18, 2021
- Winners will be announced at the Winter Zoom Party on January 24, 2021
Thanks to Emmy McKenzie for inspiring this challenge
Your Challenge Chairs: Annette Nemes and Toni Danzig